Luxembourg

Time to get luxurious me and Jeremy thought and took the train from Brussels in Belgium to the city and country of Luxembourg. Since it's one of the smallest countries in Europe we thought we just needed a day trip to see it. 


We arrived on a sunday and the first thing we noticed was that the city seemed like a ghost town. Since I expected luxury I felt cheated because instead we were greeted by Jeremy almost stepping into the most gigantic dog shit I've ever seen, the dog must have been bigger than humans. I saved him from stepping in it and we then walked and walked and found nothing. If this was the city center then this would be the most boring town I've ever seen. We arrived at a large bridge and thought we shouldn't walk across it since we should be in the center already since the train stations often are. Instead we walked down the streets of what looked like a residential area and found a building that stood out from the rest where I posed for a picture because I thought there's nothing here but at least I want one picture from this boring town. When I googled the building after the trip it turned out that the house reminding of a small castle was a place where the Nazis tortured people during World War II. So thankfully I took more pictures than this one.




We walked back towards the station again to try and understand if this was it or if we were lost, and we met a local guy who told us that the center was across the bridge that we had seen before but never walked across. So we went back again and this time when we passed the gigantic dog shit I saw a footprint in it, I felt sorry for the person who had stepped in it because the whole shoe must have been buried in it. We walked across the bridge and saw what they called the city center, nothing much to see, and we sat down to eat some burgers at a hipster place. I felt the need to tip the waiter since I didn't want to come across as cheap when I was in this wealthy place and he seemed a bit too happy about the tip, had I got the wrong idea about this town, wasn't it only for the rich? 


I told Jeremy that the only thing that seemed somewhat interesting about Luxembourg before we went was the old area called Grund. The Bock is now the ruins of the old fortress that oversees the Grund that's down in the valley below, and it was a spectacular view. 





It was here the city was grounded and when we went down to Grund it was very picturesque with the river Alzette floating by and the city went from 1/10 to 10/10 on the scale. People were enjoying themselves in restaurants and it felt vibrant and alive and the old and small buildings made it romantic.




Unfortunately it was over before it started since it's just a very small area before it evolves into worn down and abandoned places where they ask for money to be able to rebuild the place. Once again I doubt that there's money in the town even though they say it's the richest country in Europe and maybe even in the world.

We got bored and we took an even earlier train back to Brussels, four hours is long enough to spend in this country.

* Best things about Luxembourg – the old town of Grund and the ruins of the fortress of Bock where the city was founded is amazing

* Most mediocre thing about Luxembourg – the name is nice because it makes you feel like you're going somewhere luxurious, but since it doesn't live up to it's name I think maybe they have to change it

* Worst things about Luxembourg – it's like expecting a goldmine and finding a turd, literally

Best countries in the world according to the nerd (will be updated with every post):

1. Croatia
2. Andorra
3. Cyprus
4. Greece
5. Italy
6. Iceland
7. Denmark
8. Lithuania
9. Ireland
10. Belgium
11. Estonia
12. Kosovo
13. Finland
14. Latvia
15. France
16. Bulgaria
17. Luxembourg
18. Liechtenstein
19. China
20. Bosnia And Herzegovina
21. Albania

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morocco

Egypt

Poland