Barbados

Barbados is both a famous spot for tourists in the Caribbean and the name of a famous Swedish "dansband" (dance band in English). It's a cheezy music genre that's popular in Sweden for old people to dance pair dance to. It resembles how the music from Eurovision Song Contest used to sound before they got modernized. I guess the gay singer of the band Barbados didn't know that homosexual acts are illegal in Barbados and that the colonial era law bears a maximum sentence of life in prison for being gay. Maybe the band would have chosen another exotic name then. I prefer the musicians from the island Barbados instead of the Swedish "dansband", both Rihanna and Grandmaster Flash originated from Barbados, which used to be colonized by Great Britain. This is why they still speak English which the tourists can appreciate. 

My friend Christofer and I arrived by a cruise ship and after heading into the capital of Bridgetown to get some Barbadian Dollars we went straight to the long and beautiful beach next to the city center. 





It's actually so long that it changes name four times before we reached our final destination where I would rent a Stand Up Paddle board. Before that we were approached by guys from jet ski and sunbed rentals, and when I kindly dismissed the offers they instead offered me "Bob Marley" as they called it, more commonly known as weed. 




When we had almost reached our destination there was a pier going out in the water from the beach hotel, which cut us off from the beach on the other side. We tried to go around the hotel but a guy denied us since it was the Yacht Club, and he told us to go under the pier through the crashing waves since it was low tide right now. It was a romantic entrance to the beach to have to enter through the waters but at the same time I had all my belongings like passport, wallet and phone on me. If I would fall because of the waves crashing into the pier my cruise trip would have come to a quick end. I also wondered how we would ever get out, if it turned into high tide while we were on the other side of the pier.

It was much easier than it looked to go under the pier through the waist high waves, and it was time for me to learn how to Stand Up Paddle, while Christofer enjoyed his sunbed at the beach while listening to music.




I met an American lady who would also do the SUP at the same time as me and she gave me some advice since she had done it before on a calm lake in USA. This was something completely different though with big waves and the current pulling the board out to the left. I tried standing up a couple of times but it always just lasted a brief period before I almost fell off, so I made it a Sit Down Paddle instead.




I enjoyed the sit down ride while I cursed the children who could do it standing up as if it was the easiest thing in the world. A couple of paddlers even did yoga moves on the boards. I got my revenge every time they fell off and hit their head though. And then they got their revenge on me when I stood quietly at the beach with the board in my hands when a gigantic wave came crashing in and pulled me under, while throwing the board all over me.




Luckily I survived without a scratch and went out for a final round, Swedish Nerd Vs. The Caribbean Sea. The American lady swam out to me and said she had given up, and that it had been impossible for her to stand up as well. That gave me a sense of comfort at least!

I dragged Christofer out in the water to play with the air pillow trampoline, my idea was for him to be sitting on the air pillow while I jumped from the trampoline to make him go fly out in the sea. Instead we fell off the trampoline as smooth as two elephants and gave up the water adventures for the day. 




We had some food and local beer at the beach bar upstairs and I tried some local rum called Mount Gay, just because I found the name ironic since their awful laws against homosexuals. 




Then we found a way out of the beach without crossing under the pier, it was actually pretty easy, but then again it was more of an adventure to come in through the waves so I'm glad we entered that way!




* Best things about Barbados – the long beaches with the clear blue waters, it's like a dream if you get rid of the many hundreds of tourists that flock there

* Most mediocre thing about Barbados – the city center is pretty cozy but nothing special and a bit too busy

* Worst things about Barbados – the horrible law against homosexuality, and on a more personal note the insane sunburn I got after playing at sea all day, and all the people who hangs around in the city center to try and rip tourists off, one guy went to shake my hand and then he wouldn't let go so I had to pull with all my power to get away from him

Best countries in the world according to the nerd (will be updated with every post):
1. USA
2. Croatia
3. Montenegro
4. Andorra
5. Cyprus
6. Turkey
7. Greece
8. Italy
9. Spain
10. Monaco
11. Malta
12. Netherlands
13. Iceland
14. Denmark
15. Sweden
16. Lithuania
17. Macedonia
18. Armenia
19. Portugal
20. Hungary
21. Slovakia
22. Belarus
23. Slovenia
24. Austria
25. Russia
26. Barbados 
27. New Zealand
28. Ireland
29. Germany
30. United Kingdom
31. Belgium
32. Poland
33. Vatican City
34. Estonia
35. Czech Republic
36. Switzerland
37. San Marino
38. Kosovo
39. Romania
40. Finland
41. Latvia
42. Azerbaijan
43. Georgia
44. Antigua & Barbuda
45. Moldova
46. Norway
47. Ukraine
48. France
49. Bulgaria
50. Luxembourg
51. Liechtenstein
52. China
53. Serbia 
54. Bosnia And Herzegovina
55. Albania

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Egypt

Morocco

Poland